Wednesday, May 18, 2005

PatioBlogging Day 3 & 4 Update

Day Three was a search for gravel that ended in futility.

A day earlier, I had called Ohio Mulch, which is about 1/2 mile away from me. They stated they had gravel you could use for base of patios.

When Scot and I arrived, we discovered that this really wasn't true. They did not have #411 gravel, which is a gravel that contains a sandy mixture of limestone in addition to the rocks. 411 is ideal as a base since it becomes quite solid when wet with the sand mixture.

Ohio Mulich apologized and mentioned a place we could get it in the Grandview area. We took 40 minutes to go down there and back after discovering the store was closed. Lesson Learned - ALWAYS call first.

So we headed back, and for fun, drove down into the neighboring quarry to see what they had to offer. They were closed so we just called it a night.

I went down into the quarry this morning, and found that they would service us, and it was quite inexpensive at about $7.25 a ton. However, after much consultation and thinking about how difficult it would be to pick up and move seven tons of gravel to the patio in 6 hours...I decided it would be worth the delivery charge and markup to get it delivered on Friday morning. The quarry was only open from 6 am to noon on Saturday.

So now Jones TopSoil will bring it home to me on Friday morning. The total was $154 with delivery. I figure that's $50 for delivery and as such about $14.85 per ton. So it's about $100 more, but in the end we'll save probably 3 or 4 hours and be able to get a lot more done. If I'm motivated, I might move a bunch of gravel on Friday night as well.

Home Depot is dropping off the pavers and wall stones Friday morning as well, so it should be a fun morning!

I will post the Day 2 pictures this evening.

No comments:

ShareThis