Monday, August 02, 2004

The Village

I'm by no means a film critic. I generally miss the nuances and sublties of films in terms of symbolism.

So it is by no surprise that I am completely confused by the use of yellow in The Village. I don't think it's a spoiler by saying that. I just can't quite put my finger on the purpose of it. I have an idea about it, but it's so trite that I don't believe it can be correct.

As far as the film itself. I found it, dissapointing because I had 2 theroys on the "twist". One of which would have been cool, the other of which was about 60-70% correct. Not that the second one wasn't cool. It's just that I had the idea nailed, but I couldn't figure out the "real" secret that they beat over your head at the end of the movie.

They also left quite a few questions unanswered about the specifics of some of what actually occured, and that was dissapointing. Equally as unsatisfying was the lack of furthering of the story. What happens when more people understand the secret? What happens in 30-40 years? Those would have been much more intriguing than the actual events that cause the dominos to fall.

Hopefully there's nothing in here that spoils it more than the reviews I've since read at Yahoo Movies. They tend to tell a lot more...and bitch about the ending quite a bit more...than this commentary. To me, since I had the twist pretty much figured out, I guess I expected more from the film in terms of answering real social questions.

No comments:

ShareThis