Saturday, May 22, 2004

JRoller

Yesterday I got JRoller up and running at work. I've been working on getting a spare Linux system up and running with Productivity tools, and the like. The first thing I rolled out was Bugzilla, which was followed several months later by JSPWiki. Now JRoller is installed, which links into JSPWiki to create a dynamic website that allows our group to document history and provide a place to get the latest news, etc.

Now this experiment of implementing the new wave of collaboration tools will really begin to take off after Memorial Day. I figure that will be a great time to formally launch the new tools. It will be interesting to see how many people go in and start to document how things work. Right now, the basic idea is to send out emails, that announce how something happened. IN that case, it is the job of the email reader to comprehend, and catalog that email someplace. If anything changes, you need to do the same thing over and over. If you dare miss an email, you'll need to access that information by asking someone for info.

The idea of the Wiki and Weblog is that by combining these two mediums, we can start to have a living document, that people are free to modify when it comes time to do so. There's a lot of inherant trust in using a Wiki, since anyone can update anything with BS info. However, I've got to be able to trust my employees.

What will be interesting is to see if the Wiki and the JRoller begin to take off. I'm not going to tell anyone they can't have a Roller account. What will be interesting is to see if people begin to just start using our Wiki for their own purposes. That would be amazing. I'm not holding my breath, but I am going to plant the seeds of Roller with some external people that interact with our group.

This all makes me start to wonder why I'm using Blogger to handle this site. I got to thinking about it, and I'm going to stay with Blogger for now..mostly because I like hosting the page at "my website". When I get around to deciphering RSS/Atom feeds and importing into this site, I might lauch a roller site for Java/Programming type rants.

No comments:

ShareThis