Thursday, May 01, 2008

The thing about perception

Doug MacLean had an interesting quote on 590 in TO regarding the late John McConnell's perception of him courtesy of Puckrakers:

I went back and I coached in Columbus for a year. I was the president, I was the general manager, I was running the rink, I was trying to get the Rolling Stones to play in our building … I mean, I just had too many hats. Mr. McConnell, God bless him, but he thought I was running a high school basketball team, if the truth was known. He had no idea of the size of the operation, that it really was running an NHL team and a building and everything.
If true, then Doug is responsible. In business, you are responsible for marketing yourself and making sure that your boss understands what you do and how good you are at it. If your boss doesn't "get it" then it is up to you to change the message and educate until they do.

It can be a tough lesson to learn, but ultimately, you have to take some responsibility over marketing yourself and make adjustments when needed.

No comments:

ShareThis