Thursday, January 19, 2006

I don't need CRUD, just Read

So I was thinking again about Java Web Frameworks and realized my problem.

Most Frameworks ship or are "tested" using a CRUD example. Create, Read, Update, Delete.

What happens if all you care about is Read. I'm not going to Create, Update or Delete via this interface, since they all occur via a backend or use a separate administative web application.

All I want to do is Read and present as quickly as possible with an extremely flexible application. So I guess my real question is, what framework provides the best flexibility in quickly implementing Read functionality? I don't want or need the overhead provided by frameworks that need to support the other three parts of a full app.

There are fine examples of this on the web. Most news sites are read only. Perhaps they do some "preferences" settings, but that's nothing substantial. They use something else to do the publishing. Blogger is an example.

The main difference is I need very flexible dynamic JSPs and object references. Perhaps implementing a facade will be the main work that I have to do, but I'd like to find the best framework to help me here. Something like JSF/Shale seems like too much.

No comments:

ShareThis