Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Diving into HDTV

So on Black Friday we picked up an HDTV. It's an entry level tube TV from Sanyo. You can pick the same model up at Walmart for about $575 or so, but at Schottenstein's (Value City) we nabbed a refurbished one for $299. A bit of a risk to get a refurb, but for $299 for a 32" HDTV with an ATSC tuner, the risk is worth it. Besides, the set had gotten rave reviews at the $775 price point in late 2004 over at AVSForum.

I am enjoying it very much so far. I'm able to pull in all sorts of HDTV over the air with an antenna and nothing else. I can pull it in over my cable box as well, but it requires switching the TV into letterbox mode and is fairly annoying to make the switch. There must be some way to get the TV to automagically do this for you, but I haven't figured that out yet.

The only complaint was how the overscan was set and I needed to do some service menu type things to get that back in shape, but once that was settled it is working quite nicely.

No comments:

ShareThis