Saturday, September 11, 2004

Three Years Ago

Three years ago I was playing hookey from work.

OK, that's not entirely true. I did go into work that day. I just had decided to get in my car around 6:45 and drive out to Darby Creek Golf Course where they were running a special: $18 to walk before 10 am.

I had done this several times over the past month. Go out, start playing by 7:30 at the latest, and be done by 9:30, and head into work. Work through lunch and leave around 6-6:30.

It was a good deal.

Three years ago, it was a very unusual outing.

I recall walking off of the course and getting into my car around 10:30. It was slow that day, and I had gotten stuck behind some other groups that prevented me from playing in about 2:30-2:45.

I got into my car and was surprised to hear Howard Stern still on the air. I had no idea what was going on, but it sounded like a CNN feed. I remember being so confused by what was going on that I took a wrong turn and added 15 minutes onto a 15 minute trip to Dublin for work...and instead went to Marysville. A few minutes later I found out what was going on, and was shocked.

I remember that WBZX stayed with Howard even though he could have easily been pulled. I appreciated that because his coverage was nothing short of amazing. I remember going into the office, and the security guard being extra hardcore. I remember the shocked looks, getting nothing done at work, and going home at 2:30 to be with Lori just because I couldn't get anything done.

I remember feeling sick for a good week, and I remember the President doing a tremendous job of getting the country pointed in the right direction on what we were to do about it.

I'm sure at some point, my children, or nieces and nephews will ask me where I was when this happened. I'll have to say...I was on the golf course, and had no idea what was going on. The only solice I have is, there were plenty of other people on that course that day who were just as clueless as I.


No comments:

ShareThis